I passed!!!! I finally passed my Japanese driver’s test and am the proud holder of a Japanese driver’s license! Halfway through this whole process, I decided to keep an account of my experience to share with you. So here it is from start to finish:
Very First Visit to the Driver’s Center
A Brother from church, Toru-san, was asked to go with John and me to help us with translation in obtaining our Japanese driver’s licenses. First, Toru-san said we must go in to register and sign up. This center is about a 45 minute drive from our house, the driving center for all of our prefecture.(equivalent to a “state”) So we all troop in and go to the main building to check things out. I wanted to practice on the testing course so I could have an idea what I needed to be prepared for. We were referred to a second building to check into practice times. There, they highly recommended that we take classes first before attempting to take the test. Majority of people fail several times before passing, we were told. Highly encouraging! However, there was a measure of hope for us to pass the first time because Carrie had passed her test the first time and she didn’t mention that she felt it was too difficult. So we waived the idea of classes or lessons and made an appointment to come back to practice on the testing course. Note: Carrie took her test in a different prefecture, which later made us wonder at possible differences!(city vs. country)
History:
What we came into this experience knowing or thought we knew: Carrie told us we would have a short 10-question all-in-English written test that should pose no problem, so not to worry about that at all. After driving around a little with Akihiro and learning the Japanese ways of safety, she said she went and just drove as carefully and safely as she could with what she had learned and knew. She said “just drive normally. They just want to know that you are a safe driver.” So we also practiced driving with Akihiro. He was a very good teacher and also stressed that safety was the most important thing that they would be looking for. So we learned what he showed us and practiced it until he felt we were ready to try taking the test.
Saturday, May 22nd
We met Toru-san to pay and drive around the course with him. We could not go alone, but had to have a Japanese along with us. He helped to give us some pointers and practiced speaking to us in Japanese in giving directions. We learned there were 3 different courses, and that we would not know which course we would drive until the day of the test. So, we each practiced all three courses.
Wednesday, May 26th
(Interview)
We met Toru-san, filled out the initial paperwork, and then sat and waited for an hour to take the test. Or so we thought. Anyway, as we waited, we reviewed over and over the three different courses – Course A, B, and C. We had just been told that we would not be given any verbal directions during the test…that we would be expected to have the courses memorized, and that we would only find out which course we were to drive a few minutes before the test began. The instructor would not speak a word but silently grade us. Aaaaaccckkkkk! Brain overload! Not only trying to remember many small details about how they want us to drive, but also memorize 3 different courses on top of that? In this short period of time? One word: stress.
Finally, my name is called to take the written exam and I nervously follow the lady as she leads me to a small room. However, once inside, they have Toru-san join me. I thought I was going to take the test myself… ??? However, the nice lady proceeds to ask me question after question concerning everything possible about how I got my first license in IL—right down to the color of car I drove for the test. (I briefly mentioned this with more details on an earlier post.) Then when I was finished 45 minutes later, I was excused and John was called in. We found out later that this was the interview which needed to be approved before starting the whole process. In fact, we weren’t even scheduled to take the test that day. So much for sweating! We made an appointment for the following week, and Toru-san assured us that we would indeed take the test at that time.
(1st test)
We arrive, meet Toru-san, fill out more paperwork, and then wait. Then, I am taken back for my written test. This time I was not at all nervous. There were 10 questions, just as Carrie had said, and she was also right that it was nothing to worry about. I missed one simply because I had no idea what they were actually asking/meaning. I tried asking the Nice Lady(I call her that because she smiled all the time—and was really nice!), but she couldn’t help me or answer any questions while I took the test. So, I handed it in. When she got to that same question, she was reading it Japanese and couldn’t understand the question either! “Choto….sumimasen, watashi-mo wakarimasen!” –Just a minute, I’m sorry, but I don’t understand this either! She left the room to get the answer and then came back…I’d guessed wrong. But I passed! On to the next step….the eye test.
There were rows of circles with a break in the circle either to the right, left, up, or down (like a “C”). I had to indicate in which direction was the break. With my glasses, no problem. Without my glasses, I missed some. Then, I had to identify colored dots(for color-blindness?) After I finished, I was told, “You must wear your glasses when you drive a car, but you do not have to wear glasses when you ride a bike.”
When John had his eyes tested (he also just missed one on the written test), he was emphatically told, “You MUST wear your glasses at all times!” Then we sat down to wait for our driving test.
There were 4 of us taking the test that day…the two of us for the first time, a young Chinese for the 5th time, and an Indian mother for the 3rd time. The Chinese man was first, then the Indian mother, then John, then me. Only the person taking the test, plus the next one in line sits in the car with the instructor. We were to drive Course A.
We all watched the Chinese man and from what we’d learned from Akihiro, it did not look to us that he had any hope of passing on his 5th time either. The Indian woman passed the “S” curve for the first time and finished the course since the last two times she fell off and the test was terminated as an instant failure. Then, John got in the driver’s seat and I hopped in the back. There were a few places I could see that John did not do “perfectly,” a place where he checked over his left shoulder (a BIG biggie!) and the instructor did not seem to notice since he was writing notes, and lastly because he was so nervous—he got out of the car and forgot to shut it off! Oooops! My turn….and it was the Chinese man’s turn in the backseat. I felt the prayers as I started off, feeling very calm and with a clear mind. I remembered everything I had learned and was told and felt I completed the course the best I knew how. I finished without a hitch, but as I got out of the car, I suddenly started to shake and tremble. Delayed nerves. I walked up to Toru-san and he said, “I think you will pass!” Everyone else agreed with this. I certainly hoped so!
Toru-san mentioned that likely they would pass both of us or fail both of us. He hoped that because I’d done so well, they’d let John pass too. When the results were in, we each got called up in order. The Chinese man passed! We couldn’t believe it. It gave us hope since there were obvious things we’d noticed that he’d done incorrectly. John and I were called up last together. The instructor proceeded to tell us everything “we” had done wrong. I soon became confused as Toru-san translated, as most of what the instructor said I didn’t feel was true for me. Then I realized that he must not be passing us and we were indeed being graded together. This was a bit frustrating for me, because if I fail, I want to know exactly why so I can practice and improve.
The instructor did specifically mention two things to me: that I “braked through the curves” and “didn’t check over the left shoulder before turning.” (The shoulder turning had not been done “quickly enough,” he later said.) These are both absolute musts. I had known this and knew I had done both. This was very confusing for me and it bothered me all the way home. How was I to improve on something I’d already done? Then I began to realize that it didn’t matter what I’d actually done; it mattered what they saw and how they interpreted it. As I thought and thought about it, I remembered that there had been a red light that lit up when the brake pedal was pressed. It suddenly hit me that though I did not brake through the curves, I always keep my foot at the brake pedal for caution. Apparently, it is touch sensitive and the light went on even though I didn’t actually brake. That began to make sense and made me feel better that at least I knew where to improve next time. The shoulder checking was still a mystery since I knew I’d done it. I figured I’d have to be extra obvious about it next time and somehow do it “quicker/faster.”
Still confuses us to this day how the Chinese man passed the test…….maybe after so many times they just pass you? We’ve found that it’s quite an income revenue for the government as you must pay each time to take the test, pay for the use of the car, and then once passing, pay for the license. For foreigner's it's average ~ $200. Which actually isn't bad compared to the Japanese themselves who must pay ~ $2,000 and go through even more testing.
Wednesday, June 14th
(2nd test)
Second time---more jitters! It started off not so good when we thought we’d brought all the paperwork needed, but found out we’d left some at home. Instead of keeping things on file in the office, they send it home with you and then each time you come, you must bring it back with you. We hadn’t realized this. So, we had to retake the written test and the eye check. No biggie, at least. This time we both got 100% on the written test, although at first John thought he flunked. The Nice Lady had the wrong answer key and started grading and marking each one wrong. John was at first flabbergasted, but then realized what was happening. "Choto mate(mah-tay) kudasai!" he cried--Just a minute please! He showed her and she turned bright red. "Gomen nasai!"--I'm so sorry! John said he's never seen someone run out of the room so quick! She was laughing going out and laughing coming back in. :) When they checked my eyes with my glasses off again, they told me that I did not have to wear my glasses at all if I didn’t want to. Interesting, though I still think I’ll keep them on! We also had to take new pictures – another expense we didn’t understand considering that we’ll need to pay for yet another picture for the actual license. This picture was only for the paperwork.
This time they split John and I up. He was 2nd and I was 4th. There were 6 of us total that day. The 6th person was a young girl from
She had color coded it with notes from her instructor. Looking at it, I could then see why we may not have passed the first time, even if we’d thought we’d done everything else correctly. Little things like exactly where they want you to put your blinker on and such details. I had about 10 min to cram-memorize everything on that sheet into my head. As John did the course, my heart dropped as I watched him do everything safely according to US standards (and daily-usage Japanese standards, too), but according to this little map, there were many things he’d done “wrong.” I knew he likely wouldn’t pass…again.
When my turn came to sit in the back and watch the person before me, I had a new experience. The driver was only halfway through the course when he failed to stop at the appropriate length before the white stop-line. It was an instant failure and the instructor directed him to immediately return to park and finish. (I found that you do NOT want the instructor to talk to you---silence is a good thing.) The poor older gentleman had been so intense and nervous in the first place (and had failed before), and he begged repeatedly to be able to finish the course, but was denied. Scary! On that note, I started my turn. My head was so full of all the new things to remember plus overloaded with what had just happened that I totally forgot about taking my foot completely away from the brake until after the first two curves. I did the rest well, but wondered how that would affect me.
When we were finished, the Californian said she knew she’d messed up on one of the areas, so she didn’t think she’d pass. I knew I’d “braked in a curve” according to them (though John verified that my brake lights had been off around all the curves) so I also had a feeling I wouldn’t pass again. This time, we were given our results separately. We both failed again. For John, they just said he had so many things wrong it was hard to tell them all. This was not easy for John to accept, but I was beginning to understand. Though John was doing a lot of the safety stuff well, they didn’t consider it well because of all those little details no one could possibly know unless they went through the classes first. (or heard from another person like I just had.)
For me, I was given a high compliment, but still failed on technicality. I’d driven the course “perfectly” the instructor said, BUT for two things: I’d “braked” twice on the curve (yep, I knew that) and I did not look over my shoulder quickly enough. Quickly enough??? Again??? I did not understand that one. Just how fast exactly were they wanting me to do it? “The same two things she did wrong the last time,” he said. “Practice, and you will pass next time.” I hope!…but I’m beginning to wonder! Afterwards, I talked with Toru-san further about the “quickly” part and finally figured out the problem. I remembered that in Japanese, the word “hai-yai” means both “quick” and “early.” Then I realized that they must be wanting me to check over my shoulder earlier, not faster. Chalk that one up to translation issues….I’d practice for next time!
The Californian got her results and passed! She came back to me and said, “Wow, I barely passed. And I wouldn’t have if you hadn’t told me about keeping my foot away from the brake pedal. I was taught the same as you in the States….brake before the curve, but keep your foot there in case of emergency.” Yep. But then later I did find out that here they are taught to brake before the curve, then put their foot over at the accelerator through the curve. Mmmmm…Weird and unsafe to me, but if that’s what I have to do to pass……. The Californian very kindly gave me her notes for all three courses so I could study them for the next time.
We scheduled again, but later John decided that if he was “doing everything wrong” anyway, then it was rather a waste of money to try again without first practicing more or taking some of the driving lessons himself. Especially since the Californian had also told us that the instructor said he “knew she’d probably pass” because she’d “taken the driving lessons.” Seems that the instructors may also be a bit biased or influenced beforehand when they know if you’ve taken prior lessons or not....at least in this prefecture.
Monday, June 21st
(Supposed to be my 3rd test)
John was called in and needed to teach school, so I went by myself with the kids to meet Toru-san. This time I made sure to have the papers they gave us last time as well as all the other ID stuff they needed. I got there early to study the courses more while looking down from the 2nd story balcony. When we checked in, I felt ready to take the test. But, I didn’t get that far. Though I’d brought the 2nd set of papers they’d given us, they also wanted the first set of papers as well. We hadn’t been told this and had assumed the 2nd set replaced the 1st set. Nope. And I had to have the 1st set this time to take the test. So, I had to reschedule. I felt bad for Toru-san as he kept having to meet me there each time.
(My 3rd & final time)
Okaaaaay, this time I made sure I had both the 1st and 2nd set of papers, plus anything else I could possibly think of that they might need or want! We went to the counter to fill out the last paperwork and they were satisfied. Whew! As I waited to take the test, I found out that I was the first one to drive. This made me a little nervous until Toru-san also told me that I was the only one taking the test today. Yikes! During check-in, there was a more positive/confident atmosphere…it was pretty obvious that everyone pretty much expected me to pass this time. “Sandome no shojiki!—Third time’s truth! Or in English as we say, “Third time’s a charm!” No pressure…
After checking in, I paid ~ $28 once again to take the test. Then, another ~ $16.50 to “rent” the car. Then, before we went out, the instructor went through the course with me – I was to drive Course B again. The course is determined by the first person who’s driving....they pick a golf ball out of an enclosed wooden bucket. The ball is color-coded to each course. Then, that is the course everyone in that carload drives that day. The instructor said, “Try to pick the ball for Course A.”(the easiest course, of course!) However, I proceeded to pull out the course B ball...once again giving me the hardest course. But I was glad at least it wasn’t C and I had to try a new course altogether. After giving me numerous reminders, including regarding the “braking around a curve” and looking over my shoulders “faster,” we headed out to the course.
The Nice Lady went with us as there is always a third person in the backseat. Initially, I started off well, slowing for the pedestrian crosswalk, rounding the first curve with my foot completely off the brake. At the next curve, I knew I had a lot of things to remember and do with switching lanes and turning, so I had my mind ahead on that instead of what I was supposed to do right then—speed up to 45-50kph, coast a few yards, then brake quickly to finish braking before entering the curve. Too late, I realized I hadn’t paid enough attention and only accelerated to 40kph. Flustered, I began braking, but did not get slowed enough before the curve. Uh-oh…I knew I had to quit braking or I’d fail instantly if I braked around that curve. So I quit braking and flew around the curve. Going entirely too fast for the little itty-bitty course, I freaked out and went on autopilot as I checked my rearview mirror, turned on my blinker, waited 3 sec, checked around my shoulders, and waited another 3 seconds to get over. That second 3 seconds of waiting was torture! The second crosswalk was coming up and I was finally able to get over in the other lane, but doing it too close to the crosswalk and I drove over the beginning of the solid white line before it. All the blood rushed to my toes as I finally slowed to properly take my first right-hand turn across the intersection. I couldn’t believe that I’d just blown the whole thing right at the beginning. I felt faint and lightheaded and wanted to ask if I could just quit and head back since I knew I wouldn’t pass anyway. As I turned to the instructor to attempt to ask, I saw him making two marks on the “10 point” column. (70% is passing. Some mistakes are worth 20%, others are worth 10%, and others are worth 5%. Still others are automatic failures.) I’d automatically assumed that what I’d just done – going around the curve too fast and crossing over a white line – would be enough to fail me. However, two marks on the “10 point” column left hope that if I could finish perfectly, I could possibly, just maybe, still pass.
This all happened in a fraction of time, so I tried to calm myself down and continue through the course. I felt a renewed slight hope that I could still pass. I went through the tight “S” curve, continued through a left hand turn, and then proceeded to another curve. I did it all well, and was ready to increase speed for a pace before the next curve. But as I began accelerating, the instructor cut me off and directed me back towards the beginning/ending point. Oh, noooo—I’d failed. I was being sent back. I felt the blood draining from my face again and I felt terrible. It must have shown on my face, for the instructor began to try telling me that I was not to go back, that he was just rerouting me. As I caught on to that and tried to buck myself up again, I followed where he directed me, but it was very difficult. It was not part of the path that I’d practiced on or had much knowledge about, but I knew if I made a mistake even here, it would count against me. Also since I didn’t know where he was taking me, it was hard to prepare ahead. I had to go around a parked car, which thankfully I had read about how to do that even though I hadn’t ever practiced it for testing. Finally, I arrived back on track where I was headed before, and he signaled for me to continue the course as usual. Even more unsettled and shaken by this time, with absolutely no confidence at all, I finished the course and sighed with relief to be finished. It had been an emotional roller coaster.
I thanked the instructor, then got out of the car and headed over to Toru-san. He looked at me questioningly. “I failed. I’m pretty sure I failed.” I said. His face dropped. I told him of the disaster at the curve and then about the rerouting. There was nothing more for us to do than go back inside and wait for the verdict. The kids wondered how it went. I told them, “Only prayer can help now; it will be a miracle if I pass.” Soon we were called to the counter.
The instructor began to tell us what I’d done wrong. Already knowing what I’d failed at, I understood when he talked about the curve and changing lanes too late. I wasn’t sure if he’d bring up the 40kph or not, but then he did. How ironic…first I was too slow, then too fast. At least I hadn’t made the same mistakes as before. No—this time I made completely new ones, ones that I’d already done well before. It seemed obvious that I’d failed, so as the instructor kept talking to Toru-san, I zoned out and was mentally kicking myself when I happened to glance up and see the Nice Lady standing nearby who’d sat in the back. She winked at me and formed “ok” with her fingers. Startled, I zoned back in and looked over at Toru-san. He still had a sober face. Confused, I looked back at the lady who was smiling broadly. Just then, the instructor finished up by telling Toru-san I’d passed. Then, Toru-san broke out in a huge grin and translated it to me for confirmation. I still couldn’t believe it.
“I passed? I really passed?? Seriously???” I nearly collapsed on the counter. They were all laughing as Toru-san assured me again that I had indeed passed.
“Omedetou! Omedetou Gozaimasu!”—Congratulations!
Later I wondered how much enjoyment they get from nearly scaring a body to pieces before giving them the good news. As it turns out, the instructor knew I’d performed the curve well previously, so he rerouted me to give me another chance. I did well the second time, which is why he decided to pass me. Whew!
As I was collecting my wits about me, the instructor escorted us down to the next station – where I would get my picture taken and receive my Japanese license. More money required for the license: ~ $21. Total ~ $65.50 for today. Taking the picture turned out to be hysterical. Or perhaps I was just the hysterical one. I sat down, looked at the camera and smiled. ...and smiled. ...and smiled. But no picture snapped. Instead they turned to Toru-san who translated,
“You are to keep your lips together.”
Oh. Okay, smile with lips closed. But the camera still didn’t flash. Again they turn to Toru-san and he translates,
“You should not smile at all.” Whaaa?
“You mean I’m just supposed to sit here and not smile?”
Toru-san said with a grin: “Yes.”
So I tried. I really did. But each time I pressed my lips together I burst out laughing. Pretty soon I couldn’t stop. I looked over to Toru-san for help, but he was bent over laughing, too. James, Jesse, and Joy as well as the Japanese women taking the picture all joined in. It was hopeless! Finally, Toru-san and the kids moved out of sight for me to regain my composure, such as it was. My eyes were red from tears of laughter. I managed not to laugh for a few moments and the camera finally snapped. I think they just decided to cut their losses and save time because there was no way I was going to be able to pull a serious face very soon. Still, when the license was ready and I saw my picture, I started laughing all over again. I look like a convict! I’ve got my face all pulled down trying not to smile and I look so guilty.
Still chuckling as we departed from the driving center for the last time (for me, anyway), we bid good-bye to Toru-san. I am so thankful for the time he gave to help me obtain my license. When we got home, James took a picture of me – finally! – the proud owner of a Japanese driver’s license!
3 comments:
Congratulations, Wanda! I've never heard of such an ordeal to get a license. Too bad they don't have a Roanoke facility for you in Japan - anyone can pass the test if they take it in Roanoke! :-)
Pam
Wanda,
So glad you passed! This post cracked me up! I would be hard pressed to not smile after I had just been thru that ordeal!
Kelly Baer and fam
Congratulations! :)
Post a Comment