I had taken some ingredients for a couple soups, a noodle dish, and some Korean drinks & snacky desserts. I wasn't able to find sealed kimchi, so they weren't able to try that. (And since coming back to Korea again, guys, I have learned to make a very nice stew which I think even Viv would have liked!)
I served the meal "French" style. (True Korean style would have been to serve everything at once and eat out of a communal dish.) The first course was a simple kimbap...rice wrapped into seaweed paper plus a noodle dish. They first got a little lesson on how to use chopsticks, and then they attacked the rice! It was really fun for Kendra and I to watch! Below is Audrey's success at picking rice up out of the bowl.
Carmen's perseverence paid off -
.....I got it, I got it!.....Ooops!.....there it went.....!
This was the traditional New Year's Day soup in Korea - a rice cake soup. Viv is holding up a thin rice cake with his chopstick. Of course, this is after he was the first to dig in, took his first bite, and then promptly raced into the kitchen to bring it back out! I hurried back to my seat and took a cautious bite to see what could have been so terrible, but didn't notice any horrible taste...? It wasn't the bad taste, I was told...it was the lack of taste combined with the very chewy/gummy texture. Again ~ oooooops! I found out later that I had completely overcooked it....like, it only needed to cook 15 min, and I'm sure I had mine simmering for about an hour!
Ahhhhh! Now that all the indigestible food had been attempted - (I think most of it found it's way down the garbage chute!) - they could now relax and enjoy the snacks that I couldn't ruin! :)
I think - unfortuanately and unwittingly - that I most likely alienated them from Korean food. I wish I'd at least been able to make a few dishes that are delicious here in Korea. I think even Koreans would have been hard put to eat that stuff I served!!! Sorry, guys! Please don't consider that meal your real "taste of Korea!" You could come visit and never taste such food in the restaurants here! My cooking skills were definitely disadvantaged and at their worst! I take comfort in knowing that Audrey knows I can cook better than that! :) :)
3 comments:
I was enjoying your France pictures very much and listening to the music, when much to my surprise, I heard Japanese singing! The Ai no Uta is in Japanese!
Always enjoy your blog!
Carrie Ito
LOL! How funny! The music sounded French to me, the title says "(French version)" and I thought it was pretty, so I added it on! Does the song even talk about France? Oh well, even if it doesn't, it will still stay on the list right now because it's a very pretty song! :)
~ Wanda
Ah, it's fun remembering what Carmon looked like when she was trying to get that rice! It was so much fun watching them!
~Guess who? :)
Post a Comment