Monday, September 15, 2008

Trip to Seosan - part 1: Open Market

I'm back to the blog!!!...finally!!! My week "off" did not actually turn out that way, so I apologize for the long silence on my part! I'm sure you must have been wondering what's going on over here! Well, let me work through the rest of the pictures from Kendra's visit, and then I will get you up to date.


On a crowded bus to Seosan...when the seats are filled, the next place to park yourself is right in the isle. Hang on for the ride!!! If you are sitting and an older man or woman boards, then the respectful thing to do is give up your seat to them.


Scenery Kendra shot along the way into town...rice fields.



Along the streets of the open market...and a shop. It was raining off & on the day we went... they just set up umbrellas over their merchandise and business goes on as usual.


(above) Kendra had to use the toilet. First, she follows the lady up the steps to the bathroom... then she runs back down for toilet paper, which I've learned to always keep on hand... afterwards, she runs back up again with the camera to document her first experience with a Korean toilet! She was also intrigued with the view of the housetops from the bathroom window.

(above) Next stop was the shoe store. It's amazing how quickly the kids go through their shoes here...Oh well, I guess it's cheaper than gas, anyway!!! When each of the kids were decked out in their new shoes, the shopkeeper wondered if we wanted the old shoes bagged up to go...he quite agreed with us that the best place for them was in the trash bin!!


James and Jesse posed for A. Kendra by a fish vendor. This long eel fish was in season at the time. Do you see the water-hand??? (look closely at the 2nd picture!) It's to keep the flies away. The fly sees its reflection magnified in the plastic, thinks a big fly is after him, and whisks away.

(above) A strip of fruit vendors... along with shellfish.


A close up of the crabs & "mini-fish." I think the crab picture would make great computer wallpaper! As for the mini-fishies, wouldn't you love to grab a handful for a snack? (they were a moving, squirming mass as we took the picture.) Kendra refused to try these tiny fish which are dried and served with oil & sesame seeds. (bear in mind, you eat the whole fish, eyeballs, guts & all!) Anyway, a side benefit of writing this after the fact is that I can tell you what happened on Kendra's flight back home... she sat beside a Korean who convinced her to get the Korean meal while he got the American meal since this would be her last chance to eat authentic Korean for awhile. She did and she got the little fishies!!! So after a little more convincing, he got her to eat them. And then once she tried them, she liked the crunchy lil' critters and wished she'd tried them earlier! :)

Doesn't this fruit look beautiful & luscious!?! And, a trip with Kendra would not be complete without something dental!!! So, here is a dentist office on the second floor.

This wraps up "part 1" of our trip to SeoSan...I will blog more later - and I promise it will NOT take as long this time!!! :) :)

No comments:

Who Came

Followers

Around the World