We took a last minute trip into Seoul to get some papers notorized today. Up at 4:30, out by 5:30, on the bus to Seoul by 6:30am. Notory is not done here in Korea in general, so we had to get into the US Embassy for it. We took our camera, and then got only one lonely picture! Sorry! I don't know if you'll ever get any pictures of Seoul from us!!! I took a lot of mental notes as we were traveling along the countryside, though. So you'll get my writings instead of pictures this time...
I hadn't realized how much I'd been missing the countryside until I was out in it again today. I've only been out of the city where we live once since we arrived. There is no larger city to travel to besides Seoul since we are in the larger city now. I miss those weekly trips from DaeSan to SeoSan, being able to watch the fields being planted, grow, and then be harvested.
One thing I noticed immediately once we were out of town and traveling through the countryside was the height and health of the corn here. We've heard from family and a few friends back in Illinois that some farmers are even now still trying to get in the last of their crops in June because of all the rain they've gotten this spring. I guess that has not been a problem with the crops here this year. I was surprised to see that many corn patches were easily waist high, and one seemed to be shoulder height or even as tall as me! There were also a couple patches where the corm must have been planted later and was only knee high. All the corn looked very green, open, and luscious. It's been an ideal/perfect spring here as far as I'm concerned. The weather has been just right, not too hot and not too cold; and we've gotten rain with enough nice sunny weather so it's not too dreary. I'd say it's been one of the most perfect springs I remember. How much is due to our location in Korea, I'm not sure. It was definitely a bit warmer in Seoul this morning than it usually is in Wonju. We've only just gotten out a fan one day: yesterday, because the air was still and it was a bit stifling in the house.
Anyway, I also noticed that the rice fields are coming along nicely. I'm glad I got the pictures in DaeSan when I did last year! You can see them in the archives if you don't remember. The rice plants are about 8-10 inches tall and the paddies are nicely wet and mostly swimming in water as they should be. The plants will grow to be about the height of wheat, and then it is harvested in October & November. When I watched it grow last year I remember thinking that it grew very slowly...not at all like corn or beans where you can watch it's progress weekly. The first months it's growth is slow...then around August it suddenly seems to hit a growth spurt and grows tall overnight. Then it spends the rest of the time turning yellow/white for the harvest.
Another thing that struck me when we went into Seoul this time and took the subway is how much more populated this country is in comparison to Europe or America. I hadn't really paid much attention to the subway the first time I went in to take our friends to the airport. This time, I watched in awe as the subway cars kept coming and coming and coming...and coming! Each tram is so long it seemed like there were about 100 cars. I'm sure there weren't that many...30-40 cars is probably a much closer figure. But still! And you know how crammed they get??? It's no wonder that there is a such huge wide stairway leading back out, for when this crowd gets off, it uses every inch of the 30+ foot-wide stairwell. Like ants. Lots of ants! Did you ever watch a colony of ants attack and cover something completely? That's the memory that came to mind as I became one of those ants, surging up the steps, one of many before and behind. Now since it comes through every couple minutes, there aren't always tons of people waiting to get on at any one place (unless there's more at a main terminal).
One more difference, which may be known to many of you anyway if you've traveled internationally at all, was the military presence at the US Embassy. When we took our friends into Seoul earlier to the New Zealand Embassy, it was a simple walk-in into an office on the 18th floor of an office building. However, as we came out of the subway across from the US Embassy, there was a heavy military presence. It took the kids by surprise. They don't remember VietNam, obviously, and have not seen such a sight in either the U.S. or here in Korea where we've lived. I remembered that the U.S. Embassy in VietNam had military protection, but then, so did everywhere else we went as well. I guess I didn't realize there would be the same here in Korea. And though it wasn't a simple walk-in, neither was it overly difficult as we'd also heard. It reminded me of going to the court house. You have to hand in cell phones and cameras and then wear a visitor badge. Since we got there just before they opened at 9am, we were only the 7th in line, and got through relatively quickly. Then we hit the bathrooms on the way out---oh my.
I guess if anyone fresh from the States had overheard us, they would have had reason to question our sanity. Here I was, in the bathroom doorway (one toilet for men/women), excitedly announcing the ammenities of this small space to John....."Look, dear! It's got a baby-changer...a soft-soap dispenser...and toilet covers!!!! And even paper towels, can you believe it?!" What was harder to believe was exactly how unbelieveable that was to me. I've been warned about the culture shock when we return to the U.S, and I suppose it might be worse than I ever imagined if I am going to drool over one small bathroom-which wouldn't even be considered clean in general American standards. Picture a country gas station.....and not a Casey's since those were always the cleanest when I was in home care travel. Also, I have my menory of my first impression outside of Korea when I flew to France...... At the Frankfurt airport I came up short when I realized that I could actually do something without a dozen eyes watching every move I made and them wondering why a crazy foreigner would do this or that. I stopped right there in the middle of a 4-way "intersection" between flights, and just stood looked around, reveling in the fact that I could simply do nothing but stand there without being a specimen. I even took a few steps and stopped again, just to see if anyone was paying attention. Nope! What freedom!!!
Well, you all probably think I'm crazy by now! I guess you'll just have to come over and visit me in Japan to see if I really am! You'll have to stay tuned, and I'll let you know what I think after we get there. We only have 2 more weeks left in Korea. As we've gotten to know Korea, there's a sense of safety/well-being in the familiar, so it's a little unsettling to think of moving and adjusting to new life again. Especially after today's experience, it makes me a little scared to move - like I know Korean life, but I may be a flop at Japanese life. I guess it's a good thing we don't live our life off of feelings! They are not too helpful at times. As I read through my old blog entries and re-live the memories, it makes me sad to leave. I know I will miss many things about Korea. But I have been blessed each time we've moved and know that God has something wonderful in store for us in Japan.
P.S. - We ran into the most awesome bakery in Seoul that I've ever been to in my life!!! Everything was so fresh and good, but the best part were their choices! I've never seen so many choices and such good breads even in Korea. The best was a deceptively simple bum, and I since I could not read the Korean, I only picked it because it looked more like bread than pastry, and was wanting something plain. Imagine my surprise to bite into one of the best fruit tastes I've had in ages! It tasted like blueberry yogurt, but could have been blueberry cream. It was so wonderful that we stopped on the way back to get one for each of us! We checked out the name, and it was not one of the usual ones we come across. We've never seen that brand of store and don't konw if it's one of a kind at the bus terminal or if it's a Seoul chain. It's called Mainz Dom, and if you ever run across it, it's totally worth visiting! Mmmmmmm!
No comments:
Post a Comment