Friday, October 23, 2009

Vicki-san

We had the great privilege of getting together with Vicki-san (Vicki Ramseyer) several times while she was here visiting Eiko-san. We had so much fun together that we forgot to get any pictures until she came to say good-bye. However, she had taken pictures on her camera and gave me permission to post some of hers, so I'm going to go ahead and do that. Not only her pictures of her times with us, but she also got some great shots of Mt. Fuji, harvesting rice, tatami rooms, autumn insect life, kimonos, and of other people here that we've not gotten pictures of yet. So with gratitude, I am using her photos for this post.

This first picture is our one and only of Vicki while she was here.

Vicki, Marie, and Eiko
Vicki went to church in Tokyo her first Sunday here.
Eiko and Vick have been buddies for 30 years now and have lots of stories to share!
Akito & Marie Inoue
Her next Sundays here, we enjoyed her at our church. Below are visitors who came for the day to be with Vicki. The second in from the right is Noriko-san, our weekly Japanese sansei...teacher. Her husband is beside her on the right, and her daughter is on the left. Next to her daughter is her daughter's mother-in-law. Her daughter went to the States to get married by Willis Ehnle. That was just this spring, I believe, and the whole family traveled over there for the wedding. They brought the wedding albums, and it was neat to see the familiar faces of Randy & Evie and others who attended the wedding. If any of you are now reading this, know that they thoroughly enjoyed their time there and everything was very much appreciated!
"Mountain Climbing" with Vicki-san!



James crossing a stream, rock by rock. Had he slipped, he would have been a very wet boy, for there was nowhere to fall but into the water that would have been at least waist/chest high on him.

Kimono
This is actually a picture of a picture from an album.
It is Eiko-san's niece, I believe. Isn't the kimono beautiful?
I've heard, though, that they are not so comfortable to wear.

Harvesting the Rice
Drying the Rice

This traditional house is a replica of others that had been here earlier. They were wiped out by a storm of some kind...(I can't remember now if Vicki said a typhoon or not). Anyway, it's a museum now.
This side-view shows Mt. Fuji in the background. On top the house is not a ladder nor to keep the birds off the top.....it's a water system so in case the roof catches fire.

Inside shows what tatami looks like---woven, thick straw mats. Tatami rooms are for the bedrooms...one tatami mat per person. Our house has one tatami room. (John and I sleep in a bed:) ) It is measured by how many tatami mats fit into it. Ours is a 4 tatami room. To give you an idea, it's about half the size of one of the rooms below---they are about 7-8 tatami each.


Mt Fuji

Vicki says it's impossible to capture the beauty here on camera. However, I think she did a pretty good job in the following photos to at least give viewers an idea. Anyone up for a visit?




And lastly, I just wanted to include these final two photos. I was impressed with the photography and clarity of them and thought you would enjoy them, too.


Thanks again Vicki, for letting me borrow your pictures to share for this post!!!!!

No comments:

Who Came

Followers

Around the World