Friday, December 5, 2008

Freezing Pipes...

...how is it that disaster always strikes over the weekend???

It' s about 18F out, and our pipes froze yesterday evening sometime between 5-7 while we were out "partying"!! Some teachers from school had invited us out for supper with them and we had a wonderful time eating & visiting at a traditional Korean restaurant. It had started snowing earlier in the day and the teachers got to leave school early because of the bad weather. When we got home from supper, the water pipes were all frozen up.


Thankfully, today was a "school" Saturday, so the school was open. After alerting them of our problem this morning, several came over bearing kettles & pots of hot water to thaw the pipes.
We all got front row seats to the action, cold as the "theater" was!

Then, a little electrical patch-up job was done since the connection apparently was not very good. Thawing the pipes first meant digging up the ground around the pipes first, pouring the steaming water over plastic pipes (must be so they don't burst?) and then laying down some insulation before throwing the dirt back over top. And this done in suit pants and high heels! (not on the same person, though!!!) We are constantly amazed at the physical work people do here all dressed up. They're so good at it, they don't even seem to get dirty! I would look a mess afterwards!
In this picture: (girls L to R) - one of the cooks (who brought more hot water), 2 from the financial office, I believe. The one in the pink coat had on the heels, and the other one took a tumble into a poorly covered manhole in the yard just behind her (this picture was taken before she fell). She seemed to be okay, but it became more clear why the kids were instructed when we first came here to stay away from the back yard! Then, the gentleman is one of the bus drivers + ? He seems to be a jack of all trades(& good!)....the veritable gopher. He's the one with the dress slacks on.

Here's the pump behind Joy...The gentleman is just finishing piling dirt back over the insulation blanket. Then, he also insulated the top of the pump before putting the lid back on.

James......

Jesse...........


2 comments:

Ashlyn Heinold said...

Wanda,
Sorry to hear about the pipes! I love the new look of the blog. Keep up the good work. It was great to see your family in church today. Have a great week.

The Kinsinger's said...

Thanks, Elizabeth!

I think we have a busy week coming up, but I'm hoping to get a few posts blogged anyway! I can imagine things are very busy back there for you as well with all the Christmas family plans, caroling, and such! I don't know if I actually miss all that busy-ness...I think I more miss the idea of it just because I'm not there! Anyway, enjoy it for us, please!

Who Came

Followers

Around the World