Saturday, September 20, 2014

Tuesday-September 16

Yesterday was kind of a relaxation day and so I did not do much for activities. Our main event we did together was to go to a water puppet show in the evening where we saw water puppets act on water. I think it was probably one the coolest thing that I have seen here in Viet Nam. The water puppet show contained about 15 different scenes and each one was 3-5 minutes. There were scenes of myths or legends and there were scenes of real life back in history. There were some very cool scenes like the one where they put firecrackers inside of the puppet dragon's mouth. They said that water puppetry dated as far back as the 11th century and was done on the Red River. There was music that went with the puppet show. It was very culturally Asian just by the sound of it. It was definitely not something that I would listen to in my free time. One thing that stuck out to me was the fact that when they played the drums with their music, it had no rhythm to it as us westerners know it. It did not necessarily annoy me but it did seem to make the music less appealing. That has been one of the highlights of my week so far.

-James

No comments:

Who Came

Followers

Around the World